Monday, September 10, 2007

Still in Bermuda

Last night we were supposed to leave, pending one last weather report. It showed 18 ft waves 100 miles off of N.Y. That means they would have been 20 -30 ft in the gulf stream. While Bob and I might be a little gutsy we are not crazy. It looks like we are going to have to wait until Tuesday night or Wednesday morning to leave. That should put us in at about noon Friday, in New York Harbor.

While the people in Bermuda have treated us like royalty, we were even given honorary membership in the St. George's Boat and Dingy Club, this trip would not be possible without the four greatest people in my life: Anne, my wife, Phillip, Heath, and Brittany, my children. Anne has gone way beyond any expectations to help me. She even volunteered to accompany me across the Atlantic when my first mate, had to back out due to unforeseen circumstances. That is a pretty brave woman.

As far as we can tell no one has ever made the crossing in a single engine flats boat before. Most of the men, we met in Bermuda says they would not do it. (They have more common sense than I.) Most of them have been across in much larger boats. All kinds of Government officials, even the American Consolate have been trying to talk us out of going on to N.Y. Even the newspaper reported that the Bermuda Radio strongly recommends we abandon the rest of the trip. Some even called Bob and I crazy idiots, I still call it proof. After they realized we were not going to be persuaded to cancel they became very helpful in planning the rest of the trip.

I know in the beginning she was rightfully sceptical as any responsible woman would be when her crazy husband took much needed money and started a boat company. She has put up with me for five years while we struggled to get this started.

Lord Willing we shall arrive in N.Y. Harbor on Friday.

No comments: